Last January, I chose a word of the year, DISCOVER, and set out to discover new things and make some changes in my life. I also had some small goals and shocker of all shockers, for the first time in my life, I think I did pretty well and lived the year in a way that I set out to.
2017 was a game changer for me. I took control of my health and well-being and so far am in the best shape of my life. I’m notorious for playing it safe, but I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and I did in many ways. It feels nice!
Let’s look at these specific goals I shared last year and see how I did with them:
- More yoga, meditation and exercise
- Watch less TV. Seriously, it’s a time suck and hindering me doing other things
- I do watch a lot less TV now and have even given up some shows that I used to love. I no longer continue to watch Law & Order: SVU only because of my 19-year loyalty to the show, even though I hated the storylines of more recent seasons. (But an old re-run is definitely on in the background while I write this—the Stabler years were the best.)
- More reading. I’ll have time for this if I watch less TV. Duh.
- I didn’t read as many books as I would have liked, but I definitely read a bit more. I find I read more if I buy a book or can borrow what I want to read when I want to read it at the library, rather than putting a book on hold and reading it when they have it available with no option to renew it. I read more on my terms, which sounds bad, but it’s true
- More fun times with friends
- It’s not easy getting together with friends when you all have a lot of commitments and different work schedules, but I’ve made this more of a priority, even if it’s just meeting my best friend for lunch during my work day on her day off
- More date nights with my husband.
- I think we got out a bit more and most of our date nights were spontaneous, which is kind of nice. We also discovered a restaurant in the next town over that we absolutely love and have been to three times since October. That is unusual for us, but we love this place
- Visit more new places, both local and further away.
- We went to New York City in April and want to go back again. The boys and I had never been. We also visited some local touristy towns that we have been meaning to go to and I’m so glad we’ve been getting out of our little bubble
- Teach my kids to cook
- We’re still working on this, but they are better equipped to make themselves something more than sandwiches when they are home alone—and it’s not just by microwaving something
- Spend more time outdoors (in nicer weather—this New Englander hates the cold, even though I’ve dealt with it all my life)
- We went hiking a few times in the fall and it was invigorating. I even own trail sneakers now. (Who am I?) I can’t deal well with the current single digit cold spell we’re having in Massachusetts, but I definitely appreciate the outdoors more, as well as the power of fresh air and nature when having a bad day
- Blog more
- I think I’ve accomplished this and am continuing to work on it. More to come in 2018!
In 2018, I want to continue more of the same. I have chosen a new word for 2018 and have a few goals for the year that I will share later in the week.
How did 2017 go for you? What changes did you make in your life that you are happy about? What could you do differently? Comment below and let me know!